Return of the Living Dead Movie Review


Return of the Living Dead Movie Review

Ok, so tonight was a netflix night and the gf and me watched a 80's horror classic Return of the Living Dead. This movie is directed by Dan O'Bannon and stars Clu Glulager and Thom Mathews. Both great genre actors including Mathews playing the iconic Tommy Jarvis in Jason Lives Friday Part 6. I must say I had seen this movie but, it was years ago. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago so I didn't remember much about it other than Mathews being in it and I think thats just because I had seen Jason Lives a million times. Now, this is a zombie pic with horror and comedy elements. It is also remembered for 3 things. Some over the top gore, a red spiked hair chick in full frontal nudity, and its comedic tone. This movie was not like your zombie toned movie like Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, or its sequel. This was more in the vein of Shaun of the Dead. I must say if by chance if you haven't seen this you really should check it out. The movie is full of funny moments, and several moments that are just terrible but, in a great cheesy 80's horror way. Thom Mathews will drive you nuts as a whiny Freddy who is exposed to gas that causes him to eventually become a living dead member. Its a complete popcorn flick. And if you really don't dig horror/comedies that its best you should just stay away from this one. Even though I don't usually care for them myself this is an exception. Its campy and fun. And definitely worth a rent minimum. Maybe even a buy on a marked down rack. I give it 3.5 out of 5 axes.

No comments: